CBM’s work seeks to
- Reduce the prevalence of diseases which cause impairments
- Minimise the conditions which lead to disability
- Promote equal opportunities for economic empowerment, livelihood security and full inclusion in all aspects of society for persons with disabilities.
Based on our experience with disability we have embraced a ‘twin track approach’ in our work. This means that CBM together with our partners implement programmes with a two prong approach as illustrated below:
- Empowerment: Disability specific initiatives directed at the person with disability or their families, and aimed at empowering them. These initiatives could include healthcare, supportive devices, education and training or livelihood opportunities.
- Mainstreaming: Targeted at society or the general public, these initiatives seek to ensure that general development activities are inclusive. Mainstreaming seeks to identify and overcome barriers so that people with disabilities have equal access to and participation in development and community programmes.